Background information

Generally, customers wishing to connect a typical low voltage load up to 100 amps single phase or 63 amps three phase in an existing urban area will be offered to connect under a low voltage (LV) basic connection service even though we may need to carry out minimal extensions or augmentation works to the network in order to facilitate the connection.

Many other types of LV connections, such as loads in non-urban locations or loads above 100 amps single phase or 63 amps three phase, may also be offered a LV basic connection service if it is assessed that the connection can be supported by the network without the need to extend or enhance the network.

In cases where the non-urban or larger LV loads are deemed to be requiring enhancement or extension works to the network, the offer will be in the form of a standard connection service.

When considering applications, Endeavour Energy will determine which areas are urban and rural based on the criteria specified within the definition of rural and urban below and the local government planning instruments.

From 3 May 2020, approval to connect new and upgraded electrical installations greater than 100 amps are dependent on the provision of main switchboard information as set out in the Service and Installation Rules of NSW (section 4).

To reduce handling time, applicants are required to submit the Compliance Statement for Main Switchboards Greater than 100 amps, completed by the switchboard manufacturer, along with any supporting documentation relevant to the work to be undertaken. Submission of the completed form and any questions relating to the compliance statement should be forwarded to

Urban, non-urban or rural?

If land is zoned urban, non-urban or rural then Endeavour Energy will apply these classifications. If, however, the land zoning is of a different nature without reference to urban or non-urban or rural (e.g., Residential 1A, 1B or residential bushland conservation), we will determine whether an urban or non-urban classification should apply, based on the following principles.

Rural or non-urban classification:

  • where the average demand on the high voltage (HV) feeders is less than 0.3 megavolt amps per kilometre, or
  • in areas zoned as rural under a local environmental plan (under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979),
  • in areas that is predominantly used for agricultural purposes.

Urban classification:

  • where the network is not part of a rural network, or
  • if the zoning as shown on your rates notice or development application is residential such as (R1, R2, R3 or R4) then you are definitely classified as urban.

As a guide, lots of greater than 4,000m2 should be considered non-urban, unless they are specifically within a commercial or industrial development. For more information on these classifications, please refer to our Connection Policy.

High voltage installations and temporary builder's supplies

Because of the additional safety and operational constraints that are associated with high voltage installations and temporary builders supplies, these connection services are offered as standard connection service.

Multi occupant developments

All strata title developments are assessed and offered either:

  • LV basic connection service if no extension or expansion work is required
  • standard connection service where augmentation or extension of the network is required to facilitate connection of the lots being developed.

A separate retail account and National Metering Identifier (NMI) will be required for each unit in a strata development.

The local council may require developers to lodge a subdivision application, a development application and building application, depending on the scope of the development. The local council may also impose conditions of consent, which must be met before development can proceed.

Endeavour Energy may require the developer to grant Land Interests to allow maintenance and operations activities to proceed.

Please read our property tenure requirements for assets constructed as customer funded contestable works.

If the development is significant or expansion of our distribution system may be required, you are encouraged to engage a Level 3 Accredited Service Provider prior to submitting an application.

The completed application form may be submitted by you, the applicant, or by a Level 3 Accredited Service Provider as your representative.

Once your application has been received, we will assess the supply conditions to determine which of the following connection services will be applicable. Then we will provide a supply offer based on the information submitted.