Medical Energy Rebate
If you or someone living with you has been diagnosed with an inability to self-regulate body temperature, you may be eligible for this rebate.
The Medical Energy Rebate helps eligible NSW households cover the cost of their energy bills. The rebate is for NSW customers who have an inability to self-regulate body temperature when exposed to extreme hot or cold environmental temperature. To be eligible for this rebate, you must have a diagnosis that you’re unable to self-regulate your body temperature.
You can apply for the Medical Energy Rebate if you or someone living at the address of the eligible customer:
- is a NSW resident
- is an account holder named on the bill of an energy retailer
- has an inability to self-regulate body temperature
- has been assessed by a registered medical practitioner (who is not the applicant) who has been treating them for at least 3 months
- meets at least one Primary Qualifying Condition and at least one Secondary Qualifying Condition
- holds one of the following concession cards:
- Pensioner Concession Card issued by the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) or Services Australia
- Health Care Card issued by Services Australia, or
- DVA Gold Card.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements as above.
- Download & complete the ‘Medical Energy Rebate Application form’ available here
- Ask your medical practitioner (GP or specialist) to complete and sign the relevant sections of the form.
- Send your completed form directly to your energy retailer.