South Leppington Zone Substation Upgrade & Underground Transmission Line Connection
Endeavour Energy is building a permanent zone substation at South Leppington and constructing an underground electricity line from that location to the future North Catherine Field Zone Substation.
- installing a new indoor 132kV/11kV control building with indoor switchgear and an additional new transformer at South Leppington ZS
- decommissioning and removal of the existing interim ZS facility including the temporary control building and outdoor switchyard [currently located along the south eastern edge of the ZS property]
- installation of a new underground to overhead pole within the future North Catherine Field ZS property [at 130 Alma Road, Leppington]
- installation of a new underground electricity transmission line within road reserves [a distance of 3.7km] from the South Leppington ZS to the future North Catherine Field ZS
- security fencing and lighting
The upgrade and associated connection works is necessary to provide an adequate and secure long term electricity supply to the East Leppington and Leppington precincts, including Willowdale and the adjacent developments of Emerald Hills and Gledswood Hills, which are parts of the rapidly developing South West Growth Centre.
Review of Environmental Factors
Endeavour Energy, as the determining authority, approved the project following a robust assessment of project criteria which has ultimately achieved the best balance of financial, technical, community and environmental considerations.
When at the planning stage, the proposed project was subject to a Review of Environmental Factors (REF) approval under Part 5 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, 1979.
The REF included comprehensive assessments on noise, visual amenity, flora, fauna, heritage and archaeology, traffic and bushfire risk associated with the proposed works. Endeavour Energy sought community feedback on a draft REF on the proposed project. All comments received were considered/incorporated into the final REF.
Following this process, a Notice of Determination was issued which approved the construction of the zone substation subject to several construction and environmental management criteria that must be met.
Construction commenced in mid-2019.
Stakeholders and residents will be notified prior to the start of construction.
How to stay up to date
Would you like to be kept up to date with this project and/or provide feedback on it?