How a smart home can save you money
Becoming a PowerSaver on our Smart Hot Water System plan optimises the heating of your hot water tank to save you money. This plan ends on 31 March 2025 if you receive a device from us. Otherwise, it ends on 31 March 2023 if you already have a smart hot water system controller.
Why should you join?
Customers who join the Smart Hot Water System plan will be rewarded with a new home energy management system (HEMS) for your hot water tank valued at up to $1,500 (includes a standard installation). You will be advised if the installation of the HEMS is not standard and/or if there are any costs to retrofit or upgrade your existing hot water tank in order for it to be eligible to participate in the plan. If you already own a HEMS, you will receive $200 in gift cards for participating (a $40 Sign Up Bonus and $160 by the plan end date of 31 March 2023).
A HEMS has the following benefits:
- coordinate and optimise scheduling for various household appliances such as hot water tanks, air conditioners, batteries and pool pumps using your smartphone
- monitor and record your consumption patterns for appliances
- if you have a solar PV system, save money by scheduling appliance use for when your solar energy is generating.
You will also be helping to reduce peak demand and ‘soak up’ excess solar generation in your local electricity network, which can affect service reliability.
How does it work?
Your HEMS will be accessed by Endeavour Energy on ‘Event Days’ only, with the aim of shifting heating of your hot water tank to outside peak demand times (usually between 11am and 8pm). This is unlikely to cause any disruption to your hot water use.
We will notify you of Event Days via an email and/or SMS before the hot water heating times are shifted. Endeavour Energy will select up to 20 of these Event Days per 12 month period from when your participation in the plan is confirmed until the plan ends on 31 March 2025 (or 31 March 2023 if you already have a HEMS). The days chosen will be based on when we expect a series of hot or cold days but will exclude weekends and public holidays.
Want to know more? Check out answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
What’s required to participate in the Smart Hot Water System plan?
To participate in this plan, you must:
- be 18 years or over
- have an existing eligible functional electric hot water tank
- have Wi-Fi internet access
- have a smartphone
- reside within the Endeavour Energy network area, and
- own and occupy a townhouse or free-standing house.
How to join the Smart Hot Water System plan?
- Read the PowerSavers Terms and Conditions (including Schedule 3 | Smart Hot Water System Plan).
- Sign up online. In the sign up form, we ask for your National Metering Identifier (NMI), which is printed on your electricity bill. If you reside within the Endeavour Energy network area, this should be a 10 character or 11 character unique identifier beginning with 431 or NEEE. Please only enter the first 10 characters of your NMI.
- If you do not already have a HEMS:
(i) the supplier may contact you to organise a time to visit your property and conduct a site inspection to confirm your eligibility for the program, if required
(ii) if eligible, you will be offered a contract to enter into with the supplier (which will include any costs to retrofit or upgrade your existing hot water tank in order for it to be eligible to participate in the plan), and
(iii) after you have signed the contract, your HEMS will be installed.
- If you do already have a HEMS, once your eligibility to join the plan has been confirmed, your $40 Sign Up Bonus reward will be sent to you.
Places are limited so please sign up as soon as possible and become a PowerSaver.
Becoming a PowerSaver helps us work together to lower energy consumption, save money, and work towards a more sustainable world.